Byju’s: The World’s Most Valuable Edtech Startup
This piece was originally published here.
Attending school and education are a right of passage for kids worldwide and of critical importance in an increasingly complex world. Despite the importance of education, the field has changed little over the past 100 years. However, the burgeoning educational technology sector — “edtech” — is promising to transform how we learn at every stage of our educational journey. One of the most important companies spearheading the transformation of education is Indian edtech startup Byju’s.
Byju’s is a personalized learning platform that creates dynamic learning experiences for students from kindergarten through graduation across a broad range of subjects. Byju’s was founded in 2011 and over the past decade has grown to immense scale:
- 80 million students on the platform
- 5.5 million paying users
- $800 million revenue run rate
- 100 minutes spent on the app on average during the pandemic (71 minutes on average pre-pandemic)
- 85% renewal rate year-to-year
- $16.5B valuation
Byju’s has grown to this size primarily in India — its home market — over the last decade. The company has now set its sights on an ambitious global expansion program to power the next phase of its growth.
Over the course of the past decade Byju’s has evolved to offer a broad range of educational services to its users. Today, Byju’s has four core product offerings for students using its platform:
- Byju’s Classes: Personalized online tutoring classes
- Byju’s App: Asynchronous learning
- Byju’s Early Learn: A specially crafted learning program for young kids developed in partnership with Disney
- Byju’s Test Preparation: Byju’s offers a range of material for preparing for a range of tests and exams such as India’s JEE…